Skip to main content
Frequently Asked Questions

Buying and selling in an over 50s lifestyle community?

Is there stamp duty on my purchase?

No, there is no stamp duty payable on the purchase of your home.

Can I obtain finance for my home?

Obtaining a housing loan for a Halcyon home for someone over 50 is not easy. There are several lenders which have introduced products which may be suitable. If you are interested in pursuing this, you should seek financial advice.

If and when I wish to sell my home, who can I use as an agent?

If and when you choose to sell your home you can either use Halcyon as your selling agent, or any agent of your choice.  Halcyon will charge a commission similar to average real estate agency fees.

When I sell my home what exit fees and charges will I have to pay?

When you sell a Halcyon home all capital gains are yours and there are no exit fees.

Can I sell my home myself?

Yes, even though Halcyon offers an experienced sales team and some external agents have experience in this area, you are able to sell your home directly if you so wish.

Can we buy a home in the name of a family trust, company or children’s names?

All homes are owner occupied and before considering purchasing a home in the name of any other entity than your own, you should obtain legal advice.

Can I include my home in my will?

Yes, your home forms part of your estate assets. The beneficiaries of your estate can if they wish move into your home (as long as they are over 50) or they can sell the home at any time, with all capital gains belonging to your beneficiaries.

What is it that I own in a lifestyle community?

What is my entitlement to the land?

Before you move into a Halcyon community you will sign a Site Agreement. This agreement is your contractual right to exclusively occupy your site. It is a state government tenure and is a perpetual agreement with no end date.

Is the land freehold or leasehold?

Halcyon communities operate under the Manufactured Homes (Residential Parks) Act 2003 and as such you will own your own home and will have a licence in perpetuity for that home to occupy a site. This licence can be transferred to any other buyer. We believe that the homeowner under the state legislation is very protected in relation to the security of their Site Agreement.

Are weekly site fees the same for a single or couple?

At most Halcyon communities site fees are different for singles and couples.

Am I entitled to government rent assistance?

If you are on a pension or benefit from Centrelink or Veterans Affairs, then you may be entitled to receive rent assistance.

Do my site fees cover rates and government charges?

Yes, your weekly site fees includes local council rates and some government charges.  Some communities include water charges as well.

Apart from weekly site fees, what weekly charges do I have to pay?

Your weekly site fees covers all charges associated with living at Halcyon, apart from normal telephone, internet, electricity, gas and house insurance. Depending on the Halcyon community, water charges may be included in the weekly site fee.

How does community living work?

Are rentals permitted at Halcyon?

No, only owner occupiers are permitted and there are absolutely no rentals.

Are my family and friends welcome to visit?

Family and friends are welcome at all Halcyon communities, but there are certain guidelines regarding length of stay and use of facilities.

Can I have a pet?

It is well recognised that pets help to improve the quality of life for many homeowners and as such Halcyon under certain circumstances welcomes pets. There is a pet approval process in place and acceptance of a pet is based on the best interest of the pet and the general community.

Is there a community bus?

At Halcyon communities there is a bus for community use. It is a 12 seater bus and is available for use free of charge for trips up to 100km.

Who maintains the facilities?

All facilities are maintained by staff and all repairs or capital replacements are paid for without any sinking fund or capital replacement fund.

What is the quality and maintenance required in an over 50s home?

What are the homes built of?

Key elements of our house construction are Hebel cladding and steel framing. Hebel cladding is an aerated concrete product which when rendered, and along with our Colorbond roof, provides a very contemporary look. Hebel Powerpanel is a CSR product and has been selected for its cyclone rating, acoustics and insulation qualities. Our houses are steel framed which we believe provides a superior solution to timber framing.

Are homes protected against termites?

Yes, all homes are protected from termites in accordance with local council building regulations and Australian Standards. In addition all homes are constructed with steel framing.

Can I make changes to my home?

There are guidelines as to alterations or additions that can be made to the outside of your home. This is to protect the amenity and the value of the community. Most changes such as exterior blinds, screen doors, enclosed outdoor areas etc. are permissible.

Why trust Halcyon?

Halcyon has won several UDIA Awards. What is the UDIA?

UDIA stands for Urban Development Institute of Australia and it is the peak industry body for property developers around the country. On a yearly basis each state association seeks to award the highest achievers in various segments of a development industry within their state. The winners of the state awards may then be nominated for a national award. Halcyon to date has won 10 state and national UDIA awards. In addition to this, Halcyon Waters also won the 2009 Master Builders Association's award for Lifestyle Housing for Seniors.

Have a question?