Cooking with Renee, potato and leek soup recipe
We are planning on featuring our wonderful Community Managers and their favourite recipes over the next several months. Our second Halcyon celebrity chef is the wonderful Renee Ferguson from Halcyon Waters with her potato and leek soup.
We are a family of five with two teenage boys so it is very rare that anything that I cook gets to the freezer. This is a firm family favourite during winter.
Potato and leek recipe
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 4 large leeks, white and light green parts only, roughly chopped (about 5 cups)
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 900 grams potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped into 2cm pieces
- 1.7L chicken or vegetable stock (I make my own which I freeze)
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 250ml heavy cream
- Chives, finely chopped for serving
- Melt butter over medium heat in a large soup pot.
- Add the leeks and garlic and cook, stirring regularly, until soft and wilted.
- Add the potatoes, stock, bay leaves, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Cover and simmer for 15 mins, or until the potatoes are very soft.
- Scoop out the bay leaves and thyme sprigs, then puree the soup.
- Add cream and bring to a simmer.
Serve, then enjoy!