Five benefits of community living
Humans are a social bunch, which is why it’s so important to surround ourselves with like-minded people. Here are five benefits of living within a community.
1. They offer us assistance, guidance and advice. Sometimes things just don’t go to plan or the unexpected happens. Trying to look at the glass half full is difficult when we are overwhelmed or finding a situation hard to comprehend. Having ready access to someone or a group of supportive people, allows us to get a different perspective easily. Imagine how quick and easy solutions can be found if you can just pop across the road and talk your issues over a cuppa’.
2. Unconditional support. We all have to make decisions – sometimes, tough ones and the pure thought of disapproval is disheartening so we keep our thoughts and feelings to ourselves. When we are surrounded by a like-minded community, it’s comforting to know that they will support us no matter what, maybe it’s because they have experienced a similar situation and they are able to offer cautionary advice without judgment, now that's refreshing.
3. You are held accountable. Nothing motivates us to get moving faster than accountability or consequence. When we have supportive peers (who won’t buy into our excuses or support our procrastination) who will actually give us the push we need to keep going, moving forward seems so much easier. All of a sudden we are getting more creative, performing so much better than before and achieving what we once thought impossible.
4. You speak a common language. Different communities have their own jargon, acronyms and language. Think about all the inside jokes that you heard but didn’t understand. Need we say more…
5. You cheer each other up. This is probably one of the biggest benefits of having a supportive community. The celebration when one of us succeeds. Being able to share our wins with others gives us such a boost in confidence, which in turn, encourages us to continue with what we’re doing and then some.
Success and happiness really are a team sport. Living in a like-minded community makes things less challenging, more enjoyable. Staying connected within a community means wins can be celebrated not just when we achieve our goals but we can also embrace the successes of other community members! Cheers to that…