How to make healthy banana bread
This tasty and healthy banana bread loaf is a delicious baked treat for morning and afternoon tea guests.
• 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil or melted coconut oil
• 1/2 cup honey or maple syrup
• 2 eggs
• 1 cup mashed ripe bananas
(about 2 1/2 medium or 2 large bananas)
• 1/4 cup milk or water
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1 3/4 cups white whole wheat flour or regular whole wheat flour
1. Preheat oven to 165 degrees Celcius and grease a 9x5-inch loaf pan.
2. In a large bowl, whisk the oil and honey together. Add the eggs and beat well, then whisk in the mashed bananas and milk.
3. Add the baking soda, vanilla, salt and cinnamon and whisk to blend. Switch to a wooden spoon and stir in the flour until just combined. Some lumps are fine.
4. Pour the batter into prepared loaf pan and sprinkle lightly with cinnamon.
5. Bake for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Let the bread cool in the loaf pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool for 20 minutes before slicing.
Recipe thanks to and adapted from Cookie and Kate.